Go back to all posts
Driving Malaysia as the Preferred Destination for Educational and Cultural Exchange Through LEGOLAND® School Challenge 2023
- Wednesday 17th May 2023
- Press Office
- Theme Park, Schools & Education
Registration is now open to schools from ASEAN countries until 26 May 2023.
KUALA LUMPUR, 17 May 2023 – LEGOLAND® Malaysia Resort today announced the return of the LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 powered by Iskandar Investment Berhad, a coveted competition where primary and secondary school children get to showcase their ingenuity and creativity through LEGO® Model Building. Back for its second year, the competition is open to students from ASEAN countries for the first time, including schools from Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines.
In 2022, over 205 student groups participated in the LEGOLAND School Challenge and benefitted from the opportunity to learn through play. This year, LEGOLAND Malaysia aims to increase the participation rate of the challenge to more than 400 school groups from the region.
The LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023, powered by Iskandar Investment Berhad, is designed to help students cultivate various soft skills, including teamwork, critical thinking, problem-solving and self-confidence. The Malaysian Ministry of Education (MoE) recognizes the program’s benefits and has extended its endorsement for the competition. With MoE’s support, Malaysian students can add their participation in the LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 as their extracurricular activities.
This year’s challenge theme calls for students to imagine and build Cities of The Future in LEGO bricks. Students can participate in the challenge in a few easy steps to stand a chance to win their share of prizes worth up to a total of RM100,000:
- First, students need to form groups of 5-15 students with 1-3 teachers and register their group on the LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 website from now until 26 May.
- Once they have been registered, student teams need to ideate and start building their futuristic LEGO cities.
- For their final submission, teams need to upload pictures of their model alongside a photo, video, and written description about their design.
- Submissions will be reviewed by an expert panel from LEGOLAND Malaysia, including a team of Master Model Builders.
- Ten winning teams from two categories will be selected and invited to LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort for a prize-giving ceremony. Winners will also have a chance to display their builds in the resort for one month where guests can admire their creations.
- In addition to a trip to LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort and a share of prizes worth up to a total of RM100,000, teams will be able to experience a special LEGO Building workshop with a Master LEGO Builder and some of the MoE-endorsed Education Programmes available in the resort.
The LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 is made possible with the active involvement and support across federal and state government departments, and partners including the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC), Ministry of Education (MoE), Johor Tourism, Johor State Education Department, and Iskandar Investment Berhad (IIB).
“As Malaysia aspires to be one of the top ten education destinations, we commend LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort's innovative approach to education tourism in promoting Malaysia as a hub for educational and cultural exchange in the region. We believe the collaborative effort between public and private sectors is the key to the resurgence of domestic and inbound travel and boosting the of tourist arrivals,” said Dato’ Dr Ammar Abd. Ghapar, Director-General, Tourism Malaysia.
“LEGOLAND Malaysia is more than just an international theme park. We recognize our unique role in driving domestic and international travel through innovative education tourism offerings. LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 is developed to give students and teachers a taste of the meaningful and fun experience that LEGOLAND Malaysia offers. We also hope that the initiative will help boost awareness among families and LEGO fans across Southeast Asia to consider LEGOLAND Malaysia as a holiday destination – a place where they can endlessly immerse themselves in our LEGO DNA of learning through play and the cultural richness of the state of Johor,” said CS Lim, Divisional Director, LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort.
“IIB is delighted to be the main partner for the LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023. As the strategic developer of Medini, Iskandar Puteri, we strongly believe in the power of education and its potential to the shape the future. This partnership embodies our commitment to fostering innovative thinking, creativity, and teamwork among the younger generation. We believe the challenge is an ideal platform for students to learn, explore and apply their scientific, technological, engineering, and mathematical skills in a fun, hands-on environment. The LEGOLAND School Challenge 2023 powered by Iskandar Investment Berhad, aligns with our mission to invest in tomorrow’s talents and create meaningful, transformative experiences that inspire creativity, innovation and lifelong learning, all of which are the components of building an inclusive and sustainable future metropolis here in Medini,” said Dato’ Idzham Mohd Hashim, President and Chief Executive Officer of Iskandar Investment Berhad.